The Eastern PA Conference works with or supports a number of institutions, organizations and agencies, some as affiliated partners of our conference and others merely as friends. For some, the conference is represented on their boards of directors. Here is a partial list:
- Mid-Atlantic UM Foundation
- Simpson Senior Services (including Simpson House, Simpson Meadows, Simpson Gardens I & II, Simpson Midtown and Simpson at Jenner's Pond)
- UM Neighborhood Services
- Methodist Services (formerly Methodist Home for Children)
- Pennsylvania Council of Churches
- Religious Leaders Council of Greater Philadelphia
- Methodist Hospital (a division of Thomas Jefferson University Hospital)
Local/Regional Seminaries approved by the UMC’s University Senate
Affiliated Colleges and/or Campus Ministries:
Palmer Theological Seminary in St. Davids offers each Tuesday a weekly chapel service, and the next one, on Sept. 14, will feature the school's new Interim Dean, the Rev. Kimberlee Johnson (above). A longtime staff and faculty member at Palmer, she is a clergywoman in the American Baptist Churches USA. Chapel services are held at 6 PM in Room 251 of McInnes Hall, on the Eastern University campus.
The ensuing weeks will feature mostly UM preachers. Among them, the Rev. Bron Yocum, Director Methodist Student Advising, will celebrate Communion on Sept. 21, followed by the Revs.: Dawn Taylor Storm, Director of Connectional Ministries (Sept. 28); John Bletsch, pastor of St. Matthew’s UMC of Valley Forge and adjunct faculty member (Oct. 5); Tom Ebersole, pastor of Wayne UMC (Nov. 9); and Bishop John Schol (Nov. 30), among other speakers. Learn More.
Moravian Theological Seminary in Bethlehem will offer three courses to laity, both onsite and online through Zoom this fall, through the Crossroads program. Register and learn more at www.moravianseminary.edu/
- Traditions, a look at world religions and other Protestant denominations, on Mondays, Sept. 13–Nov. 1.
- Creative Worship on Thursdays, Sept. 9–Oct. 28.
- Unpacking the Scriptures, twice a week, Mondays and Thursdays, Nov. 4–Dec. 2.
More courses on Missional Leadership, Congregational Ethics, the Story of Christianity and Formative Spirituality will be offered during winter 2022.
The Rev. Darryl W. Stephens (Deacon), Director of Pennsylvania Academy of Ministry (PAM) and UM Studies at Lancaster Theological Seminary, announces two fall courses beginning in October that might interest Eastern PA Conference members:
Job-Hunting Field Guide: Bivocational Ministry and Beyond, Tuesday nights September 7– October 12, via Zoom. $100 for 2.5 CEU credits. Packard Brown, a nationally known career consultant, will teach the course. Register by Aug 31.
Money and Ministry: A Theology for Congregational Leaders, Thursday, October 14, 7–8:30pm and Tuesdays, 7–8:30pm, Oct 19–Nov 16, 2021, via Zoom. Instructor: Mike Little, Director of Faith and Money Network. 2.5 CEUs. $325. Register by October 5.