Local Church Income Reporting
- Clergy W-2 Form Information (PDF) – A document which gives general information on completing Form W-2 for clergy. [Clergy W-2 Example]
- Tax Reporting Requirements (PDF) – Information about the reporting requirements of local churches.
- Form 941 (PDF) – Employer’s Quarterly Federal Tax Return
- Form W-4 (PDF) – Employees Withholding Allowance Certificate
- Form I-9 (PDF) – Employment Eligibility Verification – IRS form
Local Church Tax Information and Requirements
- Local Church Treasurer Handbook – A single document resource containing useful information compiled from the GCFA “Clergy Tax Packet.” Be sure to visit GCFA’s website for the most up-to-date information.
- Department of the Treasury 501(c)(3) Letter (PDF) – group exemption letter recognizing that the General Council on Finance & Administration of the United Methodist Church, and all of it’s subordinates are exempt from federal income tax under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Tax Guide for Churches and Religious Organizations (PDF) – A publication from the IRS that explains the benefits and responsibilities under the federal tax system for churches and religious organizations. It covers several important topics such as tax exempt status, unrelated business income, filing requirements and charitable contributions.
- Record Retention Guide (PDF) – A list of document types, and the length of time each type should be kept.
- Group Ruling Tax Exemption (PDF) – Information about the “Group Ruling” that is maintained by GCFA for the United Methodist Church.
- Group Ruling Request Form (PDF) – GCFA’s request form for inclusion in the group tax exemption ruling.
Local Church Audits
- Local Church Minimum Internal Controls Guidelines (PDF) – The following guidelines have been developed in order to assist those with financial responsibilities in local churches to identify and implement basic internal control procedures.
- Financial Controls, Policies, and Procedures (PDF) – Information pertaining to the development of internal controls within your church.
- Local Church Audit Guide (PDF) – A resource provided by GCFA for local congregations, to guide them through the process of having an annual financial audit.
- Fund Balance Report (PDF) – A pdf version of GCFA’s form to be used in reporting on the annual audit.
Other Resources for Church Finance Leadership
- Easy2Give App – a free app available so that people can donate to your church through their phones. Click here for more info on umc.org and click here to download the app!
- Vanco Services (PDF) – increase donation consistency at your church by allowing contributions to be electronically transferred from your church members’ bank accounts and deposited to your church bank account.
- Verizon Discount Plan (PDF) – Receive us to 23% access discount for eligible Nationwide Voice and Data Plans. Also, no early termination fees or activation fees on corporate liable accounts. Click here for more info.
- Staples Advantage (PDF) – Make a lasting impact! For every dollar spent towards this UMC program, Staples gives back 1% to the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR). Participating churches also receive an additional 3% discount on already low prices. Click here for more information.
- Developing Your Operating Budget – The Lewis Center for Church Leadership, part of United Methodist Wesley Theological Seminary, is offering a new video series with church budgeting advice. The cost is $39.If you’ve ever wondered if there’s a better way to craft your congregation’s annual budget, we introduce Developing Your Operating Budget. Through engaging videos and supplemental materials, Lewis Center Director Lovett H. Weems, Jr., helps you understand what an operating budget is, different ways that churches create their annual operating budgets, and five common budgeting models. No matter your church size, this resource will provide clues and wisdom to help your budget advance your mission and accomplish God’s vision for the congregation. Developing Your Operating Budget is ecumenical and designed for both self study and group use by finance committees, pastors, and finance staff.