Active clergy, who are members of and/or serving within the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference, including retired clergy under appointment, may receive up to $400 a year for continuing education. (Commissioned clergy may receive an additional $400 which may be used in part or in total during their probationary period) Clergy participating in a post master’s degree program may receive up to $600 per year for up to four years. Support for sabbaticals of $1,000 to $5,000 is also available for continuing education. [For information on financial support for “educational leaves,” click on the following link to download the pdf file Formational & Spiritual Growth Leave, Renewal/Study Leave, or Sabbatical Leave Funding For Clergy, or see the current Board of Ordained Ministry policy below.]
To be eligible for financial support, it must first be determined whether or not the continuing education event is consistent with the Board of Ordained Ministry’s Policy for granting CEU’s whether or not CEU’s are being requested.
There must also be some support from the clergyperson and the congregation.
To be considered for financial support, an individual must provide the following information:
- Name, address, phone number
- Email address
- Social Security number (in its entirety)
- Relationship to the annual conference (elder, deacon, local pastor, commissioned, etc.)
- Amount requested. (If commissioned, designate whether or not the amount requested is from the additional $400 mentioned above)
- Amount provided by the congregation
- Amount provided by the pastor
- The name of event, date
- How the event will relate to present and/or future ministry
- Address where funds should be sent if different from above
Once eligibility has been determined, the request for financial support will be forwarded to the treasurer of the Board for consideration.
Continuing Education Units and financial support will not be offered for the following experiences:
Work camps, mission trips without formal instruction, independent studies that are not overseen through a formal institution or instructor, spiritual retreats, counseling sessions, vacations abroad, ministry/pulpit exchanges and book studies.
Financial aid for clergy seeking Spiritual Direction
The Eastern PA Conference Board of Ordained Ministry offers subsidies to ordained and licensed clergy to receive spiritual direction through its pastoral care program. A list of spiritual directors in the Eastern PA Conference is below.
If you would like financial help to receive qualified spiritual direction, contact: Greg Impink (724-875-9352, email@example.com).
Clergy do not have to select a name from this list to receive financial aid. However, the individual selected must be registered with Spiritual Directors International.
United Methodist Spiritual Directors in the Eastern PA Conference, who are registered with Spiritual Directors International (SDI):
- Brenda Jean Coffin–Lititz, PA, USA. 717-615-7713.
- Rev. Dr. Susan Cole–Philadelphia, PA. 215-242-0611 x2.
- Rev. Dr. C. Karen Covey Moore–Claymont, DE. 302-650-0790.
- Rev. Sara Davis-Shappel–Devon, PA. 610-873-3988.
- Rev. Maryanne B. Ditter–Perkiomenville, PA. 215-234-9286
- Rev. Amy B. Emmett-Rardin–Drexel HIll, PA. 610-909-2336
- Rev. Michael C. Johnson–Phoenixville, PA. 410-340-6439
- Rev. Jennifer Lynn Raudenbush–Schuylkill Haven, PA, USA. 570-617-8632
- Rev. Dr. Robert D. Sorozan–Elizabethtown, PA, USA. 717-287-3950
- Rev. Susan L. Worrell–West Chester & Kennett Square, PA. 610-436-9298