All clergy transition appointments and churches welcoming new appointments will be invited to attend a workshop to be scheduled this spring. Churches should send a team of 4-6 people that includes key leaders. The current pastor joins the team for the morning “Transition-Out” session and the incoming pastor joins the team for the afternoon “Transition-In” session.
Leadership Academy: Pastoral Transition Workshop
If your United Methodist congregation in Eastern Pennsylvania or Greater New Jersey is going through a pastoral transition, we’re here to help. Our Pastoral Transition Workshop course, hosted by the Leadership Academy’s Teachable platform, offers guidance and support for navigating this process. Enroll now to ensure a smooth transition for your congregation.
Click HERE to begin. The link will take you to our Teachable course.
- 2023 Pastoral Transition Workbook
- 2023 Pastoral Transition Audit
- 2023 Quarterly Check-In Report
- How Incoming Pastors Can Navigate the Changeover Zone
- Getting to Know You: Preparing to Make Your Best Move, 1
- Getting to Know You: Preparing to Make Your Best Move, 2
- Wandering: A Reflection on the Appointment Season
- Making transitions
- A Guide to Pastoral Transitions (Part 1 - The First 30 Days)
- A Guide to Pastoral Transitions (Part 2 – Day 31 and Beyond)
- Tips to Help Pastors and Families on the Move
- Social Media and Pastoral Moves
- 50 Ways to Improve Pastoral Transitions
- Eleven Questions for Getting to Know a New Congregation
- Why First Impression Really Do Matter
- Four Key Challenges in Pastoral Transitions
- Are You Moving? 9 Resources for Church Transitions
- “Relating with Clergy Spouses” (for church leaders) - Video Highlights
- Your New Pastor Wants You to Know
- 50 Ways to Welcome a New Pastor
- 7 Ways to Welcome Your New Pastor
- Suggestions for Churches with a Young Pastor
- Suggestions for Churches with a Single Pastor
Also, for a personal reflection on transitioning churches, read “Fare-thee-well: Moving pastors say goodbye to churches amid waning pandemic” by the Rev. Julia Singleton of EPAUMC (June 24, 2021).
Available for Purchase
Jigsaw Journey Puzzle: This is an Artos Retreats for-purchase item, but the EPAUMC Board of Benefits will give a Jigsaw Journey puzzle free to help every transitioning clergy family with children. Artos Retreats will send the family a Jigsaw Journey after their appointment change is announced.
- Your Best Move, Robert Kaylor
- "The Right Start: Beginning in Ministry in a New Setting Pastor's Version"
- "The First 90 Days: Proven Strategies for Getting Up to Speed Faster and Smarter, Updated and Expanded" by Michael D. Watkins