North District News
Great Things He Has Done Lenten
Bible Study Available Now!
In this new Season of Lent 2019,
journey with Elisha through northern Israel in his
conflicted, compromised world… and discuss how followers of Jesus Christ can restore hope and wonder today.
Rev. Jennifer Freymoyer Introduces the Study
Videos and Worksheets
Each Session features:
Bishop Johnson reading Scripture
DS Morton providing an overview of the Scripture Passage
Insight from an North District Elder
Thought provoking discussion questions
(designed to lead to Biblical insight and real life application)
A hymn to reflect on as leaders wrap up
If you have any issues accessing the videos, worksheets or your church would benefit from having the study on a DVD, please contact us at:
A Message from D. S. Morton . . .
“Let no one despise your youth…” (I Timothy 4:12a)
March Madness is upon us. Certainly I have my own favorite; hopefully, the only time you’ll catch me rooting for the Devil(s)! Beyond the game of basketball, however, I always enjoy the reminder about the great work our national colleges and universities are doing (especially this year in light of the recent admissions scandal).
I am a relentless proponent of leadership development in the Church, especially if it helps the Church grow younger. Our college students give me hope.
In light of that, I share again the vision of the North District hosting a college student to intern among various ministry settings this coming summer. My former congregation at Hopewell made a generous gift in support of this plan as I was leaving last Spring, so the services of a student intern would be essentially FREE to you.
- Do you have a passion for leadership development among young adults?
- Do you have a ministry setting which would provide valuable experience for an intern?
- Do you have a particular need within your summer ministry which would benefit from an extra set of hands?
- Can you provide some decent supervision and adequate housing?
I envision this student moving (as I said) among different locations – perhaps in blocks of 2-4 weeks. Might your local church or your ministry setting on the North District be part of this summer rotation?
We need to make progress on this plan over the next month or so. Discuss it with your key leaders and let us know if this might enhance your church’s outreach in the summer of ’19.
The Conference Camping and Retreat Board…
(of which the North District Superintendent is a part)
….is launching a new initiative called: Invitation 2019: Call to Action, whereby we seek to advance the experience of cultural diversity at our four Conference camp sites. What does that look like?
It means identifying sites (churches) in settings which have relationship with low income persons of color who would enjoy the camping experience.
It means providing funding so copious scholarship grants might be made available.
In particular, it means securing what we call Camp Champions: persons from our congregations who themselves would recruit (or at last welcome) a cluster of kids from our urban centers on the North District, and attend a summer camp program with them!
Do any of these resonate with you?
Bishop’s Day on the District to:
BE ONE PART OF A PIANO-TROMBONE DUET WITH JAMES, THE GRANDSON OF PASTOR PHIL SABAS! (SERIOUSLY, THIS IS HAPPENING!)
FOLLOW UP ON GENERAL CONFERENCE’S SPECIAL SESSON!
Tuesday, March 26th, 2019
Gathering and Fellowship at 5:00 pm.
Presentation begins NO LATER than 5:30 pm
Light refreshments will be available following the program.
Location: Tamaqua First UMC*
124 W Broad St
Tamaqua, PA 18252
*Ramp and elevator are available at the church!
The parking directly in front of the church
is for passenger drop-off.
The following parking is available to us. Please place a note on the dash indicating that you are attending the Bishop’s event at Tamaqua 1st UMC.
- ST LUKE’S MEDICAL OFFICE LOT @ PINE STREET/RT 309 [PARALLEL TO RR TRACKS]
- TAMAQUA SCHOOL DISTRICT ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES LOT NEXT TO 1ST UMC
- PUBLIC PARKING BROAD AND NESCAP STREET
- PUBLIC PARKING BROAD AND HUNTER STREET
- PARKING ON BROAD STREET BOTH SIDE
- PARKING AT THE TRAIN STATION IN TAMAQUA (ABOUT TWO BLOCKS FROM THE CHURCH).
- CHILD DEVELOPMENT CENTER 255 W BROAD STREET (formerly St. Jerome’s)
District Sponsored Missions Weekend to Crisfield, MD!
It’s time to commit to the Crisfield, MD missions weekend!
Church in Crisfield during Hurricane Sandy…
Let’s continue the wonderful relationship with friends in our sister conference (Peninsula-Delaware), who have provided relief efforts in Crisfield ever since Hurricane Sandy.
The goal is to include small teams of people (2-4?) from each of a half-dozen congregations across the North District to visit this tiny community over a long weekend . . . meet the folks and hear their story . . . worship in their churches and do a bit of physical labor to help with needs.
Bishop Johnson will be with us Sunday morning!
“You don’t feel qualified? You have doubts? Don’t sweat it. God doesn’t need your ability. God will work the miracle through you – all God needs is your availability and commitment to act.”
Transportation is on-your-own to allow for various schedules and various home communities across the District.
Lodging is provided in the waterfront Janes Island State Park Conference Center or in the modest Captain Tyler Motel in town.
Meals (many of them together, some lunches on site) will be provided.
Participant cost for up to three nights (greatly subsidized by grants …and if you can arrive on Thursday, April 25, that fourth night is FREE):
a mere $75.00 for those staying in the Conference Center
$99.00 for a double room in the hotel
$149 for a single room in the hotel
Construction supplies provided by grants. Transportation costs to be borne by the teams themselves.
Contact Steve, Jenny, or Sheri to register your commitments for April 26th-29th!
Many of you have expressed a sense of call toward Pastoral Ministry…
Often, one of the many steps in this process is Licensing School (often called License to Preach School). One benefit of our United Methodist Connection is that you can Licensing Schools in other UMC Conferences. Here are a variety of offerings with good, solid teaching that we found and thought might be of interest to y’all:
EPA (“Our”) Licensing School:
Meets Various Saturdays from March-December around the EPA Conference
Peninsula-Delaware Licensing School:
May 19th-26th at Pecometh.
No further information is available right now, but if you are interested, please let us know
and we will put you in contact with the right person!
Susquehanna Licensing School:
February 8th-10th, March 29th-31st, and April 26-28th, 2019 in Weikert, PA
Baltimore-Washington License to Preach School:
Meets April 30 to May 8, 2019 at the Manidokan Retreat Center
Candler School of Theology, Emory University Licensing School:
Meets May 19-27, 2019 at Candler School of Theology (Atlanta)
SAVE THE DATE: JUNE 10, 2019
LEN SWEET AT QUAKERTOWN UMC —SEMINAR FOR PASTORS: 9 AM—4 PM Email: email@example.com to register $20 includes lunch & continental breakfast
NORTH DISTRICT EPAUMC CALENDAR
New and Updated Events are in BOLD
March 2019 –
- Monday, March 4; Lenten Day apart for Clergy and CLMs at Aldersgate UMC in Wilmington, DE; $10K in matching funds available
- Statistical Reports Due – Friday, March 15, 2019
- Bishop Johnson’s Report on Special session of General Conference – March 16th, 2019, 10am-12pm; West Lawn UMC
- EPAUMC Youth Rally – March 16, 2019, 1-5pm; Bethlehem: Wesley UMC.
- Basic Sexual Ethics – Saturday, March 23, 2019; 9:30-3:00; Conshohocken UMC
- Bishop’s Day on the District (Follow up to General Conference)- Tuesday, March 26th, 2019; 5:00; Tamaqua: First UMC
- March 27th and 30th – Discovery Days at Lancaster Seminary
- March 30th – UMCOR’S ERT Training – OPEN TO ALL – 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, at Allentown: Asbury UMC
- Monday, April 1st – A Spiritual Retreat for North District Pastors, 9:30 am – 4:00 pm, Peace House
- April 6th – VIM Puerto Rico Mission Trip Departs
- April 9th – The Art of Preaching with Tom Long – West Lawn UMC; 8:30-1:00
- April 7th – Workshop with DS Morton on Stewardship – Epworth UMC; 12pm.
- Deacon Gathering with Bishop Johnson – April 13, 2019.
- Certified Lay Ministries Courses – Begin in April, 2019 (More information about CLM program and dates).
- April 26-29th – District Sponsored Missions Weekend to Crisfield, MD.
- Dare to Care, An Advanced Sexual Ethics Workshop, April 30th, 2019; Allentown: Asbury UMC.
May 2019 –
- May 5th – District Conference (Details Coming Soon)
- Local Pastor, Associate Member, CLM Retreat – May 5-7, 2019
- May 11th – Churches as First Responders; Phoenixville UMC; 9am-12pm
- May 18th – Virtual Dementia Experience; White Haven UMC; 8:30am
- May 18th-20th – Change the World: Faith and Politics; Harrisburg, PA
Other 2019 Events –
- June 10th – Len Sweet at Quakertown
- Annual Conference 2019 – Thursday, June 13 – Saturday, June 15, 2019
- August 23rd – District Night at Iron Pigs