United Methodists churches in Eastern PA gave over a half-million dollars to mission through the denomination’s General Advance fund in 2022. Those funds were given to respond to a range of mission needs, including disaster recovery, schools and scholarships, mission institutions, hospitals and health ministries, and missionaries.
Of the $585,489 in total giving by EPA, $504,881 went to UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief), nearly $30,000 went to support missionaries deployed by the Board of Global Ministries and $52,612 went to support a variety of mission projects and institutions in the U.S. and around the world.
EPA Global Missions Secretary Barbara Drake reported the good news to the conference’s Global Ministries Team and conference leaders.
The missionaries receiving support were:
- Dr. Mark Zimmerman and Deirdre Zimmerman, who serve together in Nepal
- The Rev. Mutwale Ntambo Wa Mushidi and Kabaka Ndala Alphonsine, who serve together in Tanzania
- Rebecca Parsons, Global Ministries, a mission advocate in the Northeastern Jurisdiction
- Margaret Jane Kies, who teaches intensive English at Africa University in Zimbabwe
- Belinda Forbes, a dentist serving in Nicaragua, Central America.
- William Harry Lovelace, serving as a Ministry to Migrants Consultant
Projects receiving support exceeding $500 were:
- June Hartranft Memorial Primary School for Girls in Sierra Leone
- Healthy Women, Healthy Liberia
- Red Bird Mission in Kentucky
- Africa University Scholarships
- Church World Service to fulfill a need for blankets and tools
- Henderson Settlement in Kentucky
- Samuteb Memorial Hospital in Kapanga, Democratic Republic of the Congo
The giving came from 147 churches.
- 12 gave $10,000 or more.
- 11 gave $5,000 to 9999.
- 30 gave $2,000 to 4999.
- 34 gave $1000 to 1999
- 29 gave $500 to 999.
- 32 gave $50 to 499.
Drake said her team is seeking more ways to promote increased giving to support missionaries and mission projects, especially the number of churches that participate in supporting denominational mission efforts. She also announced that “a new young missionary who is looking for support from Eastern PA churches is Ashley Riddle, who is involved in developing Christian education for children and youth in Zambia.” Churches interested in learning more about Riddle can contact Barbara Drake at firstname.lastname@example.org.