Commission on Religion and Race Report: Ministry Report – 01/24/2020
Commission on Religion and Race
Chairperson: Rev. Alicia Julia-Stanley & Rev. Susan L. Worrell
Report submitted by: Rev. Susan Worrell
Phone: (484) 883-7628
Date submitted: 01/24/2020
Recent Events & Activities
- September 5, 2019 – CORR regularly scheduled meeting @ Conference Office
- September 7, 2019 – Celebrating Our Cultures Bar-B-Que and fellowship event @ Camp Innabah
- September 16-17, 2019 – CR/CC Mentoring Team training retreat @ Malvern Retreat Center. CR/CC Mentors and District Superintendents were trained by Rev. Dr. Grace Pak of GCORR
- September 30, 2019 – CR/CC Training session @ Olivet UMC by CR/CC Training & Resource Team members
- October 3, 2019 – CORR regularly scheduled meeting @ Conference Office
- October 16, 2019 – CORR representative presented the 2019 AC Monitoring Report to Conference Sessions
- October 19, 2019 – CORR co-chair participated on panel following the premier of the movie Harriet hosted by the Urban Commission
- November 7, 2019 – CORR regularly scheduled meeting via Zoom video conferencing
- November 16, 2019 – CORR sponsored the Emotional Intelligence Workshop (a suggested resource for CR/CC ministry engagement)
- December 5, 2019 – CORR regularly scheduled meeting @ Conference Office – included guests from the Whites Confronting Racism group giving feedback and next steps ideas
- January 6, 2020 – Submitted the EPAUMC’s 2019 NEJ Call to Action Report to the NEJ Jurisdiction.
Upcoming Events & Activities
- Our meeting dates all fall on the first Thursday of each month. All meetings are scheduled at 1:-2:30pm. Most will be in-person gatherings at the EPA Conference Office. The remaining meeting dates are listed here:
- February 6, 2020 – Zoom mtg.
- March 5, 2020 @ Conference office
- April 2, 2020 @ Conference office
- May 7, 2020 @ Conference office
- June 4, 2020 (if needed) – Zoom mtg.
- CORR is organizing and hosting the True Justice: Seeking Equal Justice for People and Communities of Color workshop in collaboration with the Prison Ministry and Restorative Justice Team on February 22, 2020. This will be a film showing, discussion and action planning for change opportunity. PDF flyer is attached.
- CORR and the Office of Connectional Ministries is hosting and the March 28, 2020 event: Racism, Post-Traumatic Stress, & Transformation. This will be an exploration of emotional distress and trauma caused in part by racist mistreatment, conflict and reactions, past and present. All people of color, clergy and laity, are invited to come to Simpson House (2102 Belmont Avenue, Philadelphia), 8:30 AM – 3 PM, to learn from the Rev. R. Dandridge Collins, Ph.D., M.Div., who will facilitate discussion. Collins is the author of The Trauma Zone: Trusting God for Emotional Healing. Cost for the session is $25. PDF flyer is attached.
- CORR members and CR/CC Trainers will be presenting at two District Tools For Ministry events on March 7, 2020
- South District topic – Implicit Bias
- West District – Intercultural Competency
- CORR is organizing a clergy of color retreat for focused work on healing from internalized oppression on May 23-24, 2020 at Mariawald Renewal Center facilitated by Dr. Amanda Kemp.
- The Second Annual Celebrating Our Cultures bar-b-que, fellowship, and artistic expressions is being planned for September 12, 2020 at Camp Innabah
- Two new members joined the commission this conference year. One serves as the liaison for the CR/CC Mentoring Team and one serves as a liaison with the CR/CC Training & Resource Team.
- CORR will continue to collect all data of activities related to and in compliance with the NEJ Call to Action goals
- CORR will provide financial oversight and implementation of the CR/CC Ministry pilot program in concert with the Cabinet and the Director of Connectional Ministries.
- CORR is preparing a AC Monitoring protocol for AC 2020
- There are 2 vacancies on the commission at this time. New members are currently being sought.
- Organized and led the work of the Annual Conference Monitoring Team which included representatives from Conference Disabilities Concerns, Commission on Religion and Race, and the Commission on the Status and Role of Women.
- Currently collaborating with the Prison Ministry and Restorative Justice Team to bring a viewing and discussion of the film True Justice to a conference wide audience.
- Continued to collaborate with the cabinet, GCORR, and the CR/CC Taskforce to develop and implement a pilot program of supporting training for CR/CC appointment making and beyond in the local church/
- Collaborated with the Bishop, District Superintends, and other Connection Ministries to gather data and formulate a report for Annual Conference on progress made toward the goals of the NEJ Call to Action.
- Arch Street UMC and Sabbath Solidarity Project. We serve on the leadership team for this initiative funded through a grant from GCORR. It includes the Whites Confronting Racism year long intensive work for 18 Euro-Am clergy as well as sabbath experiences for POCs working in justice related endeavors in Philadelphia
- Order of Elders through providing funding, organizing and promoting the upcoming workshop “Racism, Post Traumatic Stress and Transformation” for people of color – clergy, laity, and all community members.