UMCOR needs donated clean-up kits for flood relief now
By the Rev. Greg Ellis
Recent flooding, fires and storms in numerous areas of the U.S. have nearly depleted the UM Committee on Relief’s supply of clean-up kits (i.e., cleaning buckets or flood buckets). Help is desperately needed to replenish the supply.
While the fires in California, floods in Louisiana and problems nearby in West Virginia have captured the nation’s attention, UMCOR is actively engaged in disaster response in more than 150 communities across 38 states.
How can we help?
- PRAY! We are a faith community, and our response should always begin with prayer. Pray for the survivors and people in harm’s way. Pray for the first responders who are risking their lives in ongoing search and rescue operations. Add prayers of thanksgiving for all those who are spared death and devastation.
- DO NOT SEND ITEMS TO AFFECTED AREAS! Completed kits should be taken to a local Mission Central HUB or to Mission Central and they will coordinate shipping throughout the country. Find a listing of all Mission Central HUBs online. Several are in Eastern PA or close to our borders in the Susquehanna and Peninsula-Delaware conferences.
- West Virginia is scheduling work teams now. Anyone wanting to help can contact me (email@example.com) for West Virginia contact information.
- There are also several ongoing relief efforts still active from previous years. Check out the nationwide list maintained by the North Central Jurisdiction.
- So what can we do now? There is a critical shortage of Cleaning Buckets, and there is always a need for health kits. UMCOR offers instructions online forassembling Cleaning Buckets and for assembling Health Kits.
- Finally, review your own personal preparedness. Would you be ready if a disaster struck your home? Is your church ready to continue its ministry in the community in the event of a disaster? It’s hard to help others when you also need help!
The Rev Greg Ellis is Eastern PA Conference Coordinator of Disaster Response Ministry & UM Volunteers in Mission. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 484 350 5965.