Comprehensive Urban Strategy
In 2012, the Annual Conference adopted a Comprehensive Urban Ministry Strategic Plan which had been designed and proposed by the Urban Commission. The Plan presents a broad outline for a forward direction in Conference urban ministry.
Brief Summary of the Comprehensive Urban Ministry Strategic Plan
The Conference Commission on Urban Ministry (Urban Commission) recommends these strategies for urban ministry under the following six categories:
- Developing an Urban Personnel Policy includes creating an extensive ministry apprentice program, an adequate pastoral salary structure, a clergy recruitment program particularly focusing on young adults, an urban training program and an appropriate urban appointment consultation process.
- Developing Stronger New and Existing Congregations includes helping churches develop a self-study process and training program to build a more effective ministry and initiate new church development in collaboration with Coordinator for Congregational Development.
- Developing Stronger Community Outreach includes helping churches working with the Commission, Communities of Shalom, Partners with Sacred Places, Strengthening the Black Church for the 21st Century, the National Latino Plan and other agencies to develop ministries that meet the needs of the community and develop shared use arrangements that bring additional income into the local church.
- Developing an Urban Ministry Fund includes the Commission working with Partners for Sacred Places and Conference agencies to obtain funds from the annual conference, general conference, private and public grant sources including governmental agencies, foundations and individuals to support this plan and local urban churches.
- Restoring and Reusing Urban Church Buildings includes the Commission working with Partners for Sacred Places to raise public and/or private grants to develop a holding entity to hold and maintain church properties after closure in order to transition the properties to new uses such as new church starts, community centers, homeless shelters, or other uses.
- Strategic Partnerships strategy continues to strengthen our partnerships with Partners for Sacred Places, Communities of Shalom, Strengthening the Black Church for the 21st Century, the National Plan for Hispanic/Latino Ministries, the National Asian Plan, the Native American Plan and other national church plans.