Staff Position Title: Chancel Choir Director
Church: St. Andrew’s UMC,
999 York Avenue, Warminster PA 18974
Salaried Position: Time Commitment: 10 hours per week
Reports to: SPRC and Senior Pastor
The chancel choir director will provide leadership, direction and management to the choirs in the Traditional worship service. The chancel choir director ensures appropriate music that is connected with the worship scripture and theme. The chancel choir director is to be a dedicated Christian with a caring, sharing, and loving approach to his or her duties. The choir director must be a competent musician and vocal artist.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• Plan and/or coordinate the music program for the traditional worship service. Work collaboratively with the Pastor(s), Organist, Contemporary Music Director, and Worship Committee.
• Provide leadership and resources to the Chancel Choir.
• Provide leadership and resources to volunteer choirs related to the traditional worship service.
• Lead Chancel Choir in rehearsals and performance at all services.
• Direct choir in all styles of music.
• In collaboration with the Pastor(s) choose music that supports the broader vision of the church and weekly worship scripture and themes.
• Lead, direct and coordinate instrumentalists and vocalists for rehearsal and performance for the traditional worship service.
• Available for rehearsals for 1.5 to 2 hours weekly. Be prepared, organized and ready to rehearse any or all of the season’s music. Rehearse other music for future services.
• Coordinate special music when the Chancel Choir does not perform.
• Participate in special services such as Unity services and holiday services such as, but not limited to, Advent, Christmas. Lenten, and Easter services.
• Attend staff meetings and Worship Committee meetings.
• Miscellaneous duties as needed.
• Traditional music experience
• Basic understanding of Worship liturgy
• Adequate keyboard and vocal skills to direct rehearsals.
• Reading music.
• Strong team player, flexible and adaptable to an ever changing landscape, able to manage change
• Moral character in line with the qualities of a disciple in Christ
• Ability to create worship with a variety of resources in engaging ways
• Interpersonal skills, including self-motivation, and the ability to manage multiple priorities and assignments
• Manifest a call to music ministry
• Music degree or significant choir director experience
• Criminal and childline clearances are required.