The Bookkeeper is responsible for implementing and/or maintaining the organization’s accounting system. The bookkeeper is responsible for day-to-day accounting, such as journal entries, processing invoices, account reconciliations and bank deposits. The bookkeeper also keeps records of assets and liabilities, and assists with preparation of financial statements and reports. This position works directly with The Center – Philadelphia and its supporting congregation Arch Street United Methodist Church.
The Center-Philadelphia and Arch Street United Methodist Church are LGBTQIA+ affirming organizations. The Center-Philadelphia was birthed out of Arch Street United Methodist Church and is a justice-seeking and Sanctuary congregation. The Center-Philadelphia is aligned with other communities of faith and conscience in creating movements for intersectional justice. The Center-Philadelphia is open to all persons, no matter how they identify, including without regard to age, race, ethnic background, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, economic or marital status, physical or mental ability, immigration status, and spiritual tradition.
Qualifications and requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- Two or more years of progressive bookkeeping experience
- Experience with Quickbooks and nonprofit accounting Essential functions Essential functions of the bookkeeper include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performing basic accounting procedures (such as accounts receivable, accounts payable, time billing, payroll, general ledger, tax payments and inventory control)
- Providing information for financial statements (such as monthly and quarterly financial reports, and monthly forecasts summarizing current and projected financial position)
- Reconciling general ledger accounts
- Communicating with vendors to address any past due invoices
- Providing other accounting assistance and support as requested
- Participate in staff meetings and leadership development activities to support the overall functioning of the program.
- Assist in refining and maintaining internal controls.
- Prepare necessary reports as requested by Auditors for annual audit and 990 preparation.
- Assist with the preparation of annual budgets
- Technical proficiency, including the use of accounting software and web-based applications. Specifically the use of Quickbooks.
- Communication proficiency, including excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong multi-tasking and organizational skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Credibility and integrity
Bookkeeper – Full Time
A typical work week is Sunday -Thursday. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand. The Center – Philadelphia offers 4 weeks of vacation, 11 paid holidays, 5 paid sick days and 4 Flex Days. The Center-Philadelphia provides a health stipend annually of $4000 to full time employees. The Center – Philadelphia participates in the Pennsylvania Unemployment Compensation program. This position is partially funded through a contract and is contingent upon continuing funding. Annual Salary: $48,825.
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter. Due to the volume of applications we are unable to accept calls or walk in applicants. Thank you!