Minister of Music, Norwood UMC
Norwood United Methodist Church is seeking a part-time Minister of Music Leader who is able to provide some musical leadership to enhance our worship experience through song and liturgy and introduction and instruction of new hymns and settings. The person should be skilled on organ/piano/keyboard and must be comfortable playing a variety of musical styles, including traditional hymns and anthems, gospel, and contemporary Christian praise and worship. Choir direction is required. A strong personal faith in Christ and spiritual maturity is also desired, as this person will provide input and support as part of Pastor’s Worship Planning Team. We have served the Delaware County community for 130 years, and consists of 90-110 faithful attendees. We are in the midst of transition, and are seeking to enhance our worship experience through development of musical gifts. This is a great opportunity for candidates eager to build a strong music component in a church seeking to grow. Salary is negotiable. Additional information about Norwood UMC may be found on our website: www.norwoodumc.org
- Be proficient in reading music.
- Be skilled on organ / piano / keyboard
- Able to provide musical leadership and chorale direction to enhance our worship experience through song and liturgy, and introduction and instruction of new hymns and settings.
- Comfortable playing various musical styles including traditional hymns and anthems, gospel, and contemporary Christian praise and worship.
- Introduction and instruction of new hymns / songs and settings.
- Submit to and pass checks for: State Criminal Background, Child Abuse Clearance, and FBI Fingerprint
- A strong personal faith in Christ and spiritual maturity is also desired.
- Expected to be present at each worship service on Sunday, with organ and/or piano, other worship music.
- Collaboration with pastor on musical selections; will also provide input and support as part of Pastor’s Worship Planning Team (meeting times to be arranged).
- Obtain and review music selections suited for choir and congregation.
- Conduct one hour weekly choir / alternate group such as the Bell Choir, solo rehearsal from, but not limited to, September through May.
- Prepare and present Christmas and Easter programs or cantatas and/or special music.
- Receive and play special hymn selections from Pastor or his substitute as needed.
- Submission of titles of music, prelude, postlude, etc. to church secretary in advance of worship service for inclusion in the Sunday bulletin.
- Will provide input and assistance with planning as an ex-officio member of the Church Worship Committee.
- Will be expected to play for the following: Choir rehearsals, Ash Wednesday Service, Holy Thursday Service, Good Friday Service (rotates), Christmas Eve Candlelight Service.
- The Minister of Music may have the option to play for funerals, wedding rehearsals and weddings. If he/she opts to play for:
- Funerals – he/she will be compensated by the Funeral Home Director, who charges the next of kin responsible for making funeral arrangements.
- Wedding rehearsals and weddings – he/she will be compensated by the bride &/or groom, as stated in the Church Wedding Planner booklet.
Job Type: Part-time. Salary: $150.00 to $175.00 per Sunday worship service, which includes one weekly choir rehearsal in that $150 to $175 fee (usually held on Thursdays)