NE JURISDICTION MULTI-ETHNIC CENTER FOR MINISTRY’S ReCALL SUMMIT
The UMC Northeastern Jurisdiction’s Multi-Ethnic Center for Ministry will sponsor the ReCall Summit, Oct. 20-21, to promote “racial justice and multicultural living.” The ReCall Summit, at the BWI Marriott Hotel, 1734 W. Nursery Road in Linthicum MD (near the Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport), is inspired by the NEJ Call to Action racial justice and reconciliation resolution, passed at the 2016 NEJ Conference.
The Friday-to-Saturday event, co-sponsored by the Baltimore-Washington Conference, will feature a series of “courageous conversations to reimagine, redefine, reposition, and respond to racism.” Invited speakers include:
- Pastor Zach Kerzee, of the Simple Church in Boston, who gathers people around the dinner table for faith experiences.
- Pastor Jeffrey Hooker, a young adult creatively ministering to young adults at Grace UMC in Newburgh NY.
- Pastors Ianther Mills and Matthew Wilke of Asbury UMC in D.C., an historically black church that is creating a new worship experience to reach out to its multicultural neighbors.
- Pastor Joe Daniels of Emory UMC in Washington, a church of 26 nationalities that is building a $53 million affordable housing complex with a worship center, retail space, and community centers.
- Dushaw Hockett, the executive director of Safe Places for the Advancement of Community and Equity in D.C., who will assist people in recognizing and addressing bias as a critical step in creating communities of Hope – healing, opportunity, and possibility for everyone.
Learn more and be sure to register for this important, timely convocation. Deadline to register and get the special hotel rate is Oct. 1. Click here for a bulletin insert, or here for information for the whole event on the Baltimore-Washington website.