Volunteers in Mission Team Leader Training
Registration Deadline: March 27, 2017
The Rev. Tom Lank is the Volunteers in Mission Coordinator for the Northeastern Jurisdiction of the UMC and is an Ordained Deacon in Full Connection in the Greater New Jersey Annual Conference. Tom’s specialization as a deacon is in missions and peace with justice ministries. He has organized international mission journeys in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Mexico, Costa Rica, and Nicaragua and domestic mission journeys in 9 different U.S. states. He describes his calling as connecting the people of God with the needs of the world through genuine encounters and relationships.
Who Should Attend?
If you are interested in learning more about being a UMVIM team leader or hosting mission teams this training is designed for you. Team Leader Training is recommended for all first time United Methodist Volunteers In Mission team leaders, but all interested persons are welcome to attend whether leading a team or not.
Proposed schedule for the training:
- 9:00 – 9:30 Welcome and Introductions, What is UMVIM?
- 9:30 – 10:15 Cultural Awareness
- 10:15 – 10:35 Picking a Project, Discovering Your Calling
- 10:35 – 10:55 Gathering a Team
- 10:55 – 11:10 Break
- 11:10 – 11:30 Making a Budget
- 11:30 – 12:00 Fundraising
- 12:00 – 12:45 Lunch
- 12:45 – 1:15 Orienting and Preparing Your Team
- 1:15 – 1:45 Resources, Forms, Youth Teams, Safe Sanctuaries
- 1:45 – 2:05 Health and Safety Considerations
- 2:05 – 2:35 Returning Home, Telling the Story
- 2:35 – 3:00 Questions, Wrap-up, Background Checks
- 3:00 – 3:30 One on one discussions if needed