The Eastern PA Conference Cabinet will offer a half-day seminar titled The Art of Preaching on Tuesday, April 9, 8:30 AM to 1 PM, at West Lawn UMC, 5 Woodside Avenue, Reading.
The Rev. Thomas Long, Bandy Professor Emeritus of preaching at the Candler School of Theology at Emory University in Atlanta, will keynote the seminar’s opening plenary. The celebrated Presbyterian clergyman has studied, taught and written extensively about contemporary-style preaching and homiletics for many years. His book, The Witness of Preaching, was named “one of the 25 most influential books on preaching for the last 25 years” by Preaching Magazine in 2010. It is widely used in theological schools around the globe in multiple languages.
Other noteworthy preachers will teach morning workshops on the art and craft of proclaiming God’s word and Christ’s gospel in a new age and in diverse communities. They include:
- The Rev. Catherine Williams, Professor of Preaching and Worship at Lancaster Seminary with varying degrees in theology and music.
- Bishop (retired) Alfred Johnson, formerly of the Eastern PA Conference and now a research professor and Director of the Urban Research Center at New York Theological Seminary.
- and The Rev. Deborah Appler, Professor of Old Testament/Hebrew Bible, Director of MATS Program, and passionate scholar on how the intersection of religion, gender, and sexuality in the Hebrew Bible impact faith communities.
All pastors are encouraged to attend. Registration is $20 per person and is available online at https://www.eiseverywhere.com/artofpreaching19.
Contact: East District Office at email@example.com or 215-878-4607.
- 8:30– Gathering and breakfast
- 9:15– Plenary presentation
- 10:45– Breakout workshops
- 12:00– Lunch