We are excited about Soul Care 2016! The work of ministry is not easy. We as pastors get caught between the conflicting expectations of various factions in our congregations, our family, the conference, and our personal sense of God’s call. We are eager to bring God’s healing into the lives of others and often fail to recognize the toll our own wounds have taken on us. Can we experience healing ourselves and develop habits for ongoing spiritual health?
To help us with these issues we are bringing in the Rev. Dr. David Oliver, a United Methodist elder, professor, spiritual director and coach from Ohio on Saturday, March 5, from 9 to 4, at Jonestown UMC.
The NW District will be subsidizing most of the cost for this event but we are asking participants to contribute $20 for the day (includes lunch and program). A few scholarships will be available, contact Christine Eddy at the district office. Registration deadline is Wednesday, February 24.
- 9:00 am Welcome and Introductions – Program: in a church culture that often rewards pastors more for activity than spirituality how can I maintain a transforming relationship with Christ that brings healing to my brokenness and enables me to minister God’s healing to the brokenness of others? Our program will include presentations by our resource person, individual spiritual exercises, and small group reflection.
- 12:00 noon Luncheon
- 1:00 pm Testimony Panel- We will hear first person stories of “wounded healers,” persons in ministry who have experienced God’s transforming work in the broken places of their lives.
- 2:00 pm Ministry Panel – We will meet staff from several area agencies who work with clergy and laity to bring spiritual, marital and family, mental health and addictions counseling from a Christian perspective.
- 3:00 pm Service of Healing and Thanksgiving
- 4:00 pm Dismissal – Prayer counselors will be available for any who want to stay longer.
On Friday night Dr. Oliver will be leading a workshop for members of the Staff-Parish Relations Committee. Be sure your SPRC attends!
The Rev. Dr. David Oliver earned a Bachelor of Science degree from Syracuse University in Family and Community Services, a Master of Divinity from Duke University Divinity School and his Doctor of Ministry in Spiritual Formation from Asbury Theological Seminary.
He joyfully uses his spiritual gifts of teaching, pastor, administration, leadership, and apostleship to help others become more faithful and effective disciples of Jesus Christ. For over thirty years, Dr. Oliver has acted as a Spiritual Director for clergy and lay leaders. He is a Mentor and Coach in the Pastors of Excellence program of Ashland Seminary. Dr. Oliver is an adjunct professor at the graduate level at both Malone University and Ashland University in Ohio teaching in the areas of Spiritual Formation and Practical Theology. He has been a participant and leader in many spiritual renewal events. He is the author of three books. Dr. Oliver has expertise in personality types, spiritual gifts discovery, inner healing, spiritual warfare and deliverance, leadership development, team building and congregational renewal.
Dr. Oliver grew up in a pastoral family and pastored United Methodist churches for nearly thirty years until God called him to full time Transformational Coaching and Spiritual Direction. He is a certified Christian Leadership Coach with Coach Approach Ministries in North Carolina and is also a certified Coach with CoachNet in Ohio. Dr. Oliver is very familiar with the deserts as well as the delights of ministry. He knows how to help leaders maximize their effectiveness, grow through difficulties and challenges, and is gifted in helping leaders find an oasis in the desert times of life and work.